Monday, August 20, 2012

Radiator Fan Placement

I welcome data, suggestions, corrections, support and other feedback here (or on any other post for that matter)... But on this topic specifically, as I'm basing my approach on pure conjecture.

I noticed that Puget has their inlet at the top of the radiator. I'm guessing this is because it is smartest to let gravity help the pump, and allow the cooling of the oil (and it's natural tendency to sink when cooled) to help with circulation. What I mean is that there are a lot of bends in the radiator's tubing, and those bends create resistance. The pump has to work to overcome that resistance, and gravity may be more helpful in taking the fluid down, than cooling alone. The main point here is that it seems reasonable that reversing the flow would be extremely hard on the pump.

Knowing that the warmest fluid will be coming in at the top, and considering that I only have three knobs to control fan speed (each knob controlling three fans), my idea is to have the knobs control the fans in lateral rows.

111
222
333



Row "1" would have the highest RPM's when fans are needed. Rows "2" and "3" may not even be on. I'm hoping that cooling the warm fluid at the top will make life easier on the pump, even if only a little. Maybe it will make the cooling process more efficient, and decrease overall temps. Row "2" would have the second highest RPM's when needed and then row "3" would be kicked on if things get hot.

Ultimately though, I hope to have all fans running at even, silent speeds...

No comments:

Post a Comment