Sunday, August 19, 2012

Components and Testing

 First the fans. I chose (wrongly, perhaps) Cooler Master SickleFlow 120mm 2000 RPM fans. They were my first choice due to the low dB-A spec of 19. They are 3-pin fans that can be found on the cheap. Puget sells fans with 4-Pin molex connectors that may be easier to wire in a series.

Cooler Master SickleFlow 120mm with Three Pin Connections

Next the power supply. I purchased a Corsair HX850, because I wanted to minimize wiring. Unfortunately not all of the cables are modular. The main power cables and two PCI-E cables are not removeable. I'm going to try and find a way to safely cut the PCI-E out if I can hide them. I wish I'd found a PSU where these were optional, if one exists. Also note that the cooling fan rarely turns on this model.

Too many cables

I alread had a Zalman CNPS9700LED, but didn't want to use the LED fan. So , I removed it. I plan to channel mineral oil from the radiator return right into the opening where the fan once was, which may take some engineering or fan. I may use a Coolink 120mm PWM Fan, hoocked into the CPU fan header, to force oil from the bottom of the tank up through the heat-sink.

Flow will come from below

Perhaps with added velocity from a fan

I believe the Zalman might have some advantages in this type of build. First, it can be oriented to take advantage of the upward movement of the oil as it is heated. Secondly, I believe the all-copper design will help move the heat from the CPU to the surface area of the fins so the oil can sap it off.

CPU cooler can be oriented to take advantage of convection current
Here are the components I'm using, so far:
- SanDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive x 2
- EVGA GeForce GT 430 1 GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0
- Corsair 16GB(4x4) DDR3 1600MHz PC312800 240-Pin SDRAM Quad Channel Memory Kit
- Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155
- Gigabyte 1155 ATX Motherboard GA-Z77X-UD5H
- OCZ 30GB Nocti Series 3.0 Gb-s Slim mSATA SATA II Solid State Drive

No comments:

Post a Comment