Sunday, August 19, 2012

Introduction

There aren't too many pictures or clear explanations of the V4 kit from Puget Systems out there yet. As a matter of fact, I believe many of the pictures they have on their own website are of the V3 version.

The best I could find on the V4 are in this youtube video:


And this drawing and picture from the Puget site. They appeared to me to represent all included components, minus the lid on the drawing (notice that the light appears to be included) and obviously not including the computer components on the picture:




Puget does have a pretty good history posted on their site, but not much on the V4.

My hope is that I can share my experience with clarity, using photos and videos, so you won't make my mistakes during your project.

So far I've already made a couple:

 1. I though this would be inexpensive once I got passed the kit. Not the case, Add $200 for mineral oil if you can get it local. Even more if you have to pay freight. Then the cost of the fans for the radiator. Also, the components to get the fans working in a logical way (see mistakes 3 and 4). Plus, to get it looking like it's marketed, there are extra parts needed (see mistake 2).

 2. I assumed that the V4 kit came with a light... All aquariums come with a light, right? Not this one. Read their site thoroughly and it's relatively clear, but if you look at the pictures of completed units, they all have a light. Small mistake, easy to correct. 3. I purchased nine 3-pin fans for the radiator, but there's really no easy way to connect them all together. I did see that Puget has a power adapter for the fans, and did purchase it. But I don't think I need all the fans running all the time or all at full speed. Well, that leads me to my next mistake.


4. I thought there would be a fan control solution on the market for controlling 9 fans on a radiator. Apparently, there's not much of a market for fan controllers with more than 8 channels. I think I have a solution. I purchased a 3 channel controller, and three 3-pin/3-way splitters.


I hope this helps you develop a clear assessment of the project before you dive in headlong, as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment